KAMLOOPS WRITERS FESTIVAL
November 7-9, 2014
Presented by the Kamloops Arts Council, BC Living Arts and the TNRD Library System, the Kamloops Writers Festival turns the solitary act of reading into a communal event, enriching the culture of Kamloops and offering a forum for readers and writers to connect.
Keynote Speaker: Jen Sookfong Lee - When Life and Writing Collide
Jen Sookfong Lee - History and Fiction: When Opposites Attract
Anne DeGrace - The Company of Writers
Garry Gottfriedson - Lurking in the Belly of Poetry
Lois Peterson - Down the Rabbit Hole: Adventures in Writing for Younger Readers
The full weekend is just $105 ($75 for students). Or, register for a special afternoon session for $50 (includes lunch, "Down the Rabbit Hole: Adventures in Writing for Younger Readers" with Lois Peterson, and Panel Discussion "Query Letters to Publishers"). Detailed info & registration here.
Thank you to our sponsors: The City of Kamloops, British Columbia Arts Council, The Writer's Studio - SFU, & Best Western Plus.
February 28 - March 8, 2015
CALL FOR ARTISTS!
ART EXPOSED is a 10-day open art exhibition showcasing the work of emerging, amateur and professional artists of all ages – youth to senior. We invite artists in all mediums and at all levels to enter; all artwork is displayed in the Old Courthouse and prizes are awarded. This is a fabulous opportunity to share and sell your work, plus to get valuable feedback from established artists!
For more information click here.
The Kamloops Arts Council encourages, supports and promotes local artists of all kinds, specifically emerging artists. We are a registered non-profit organization that welcomes new members looking for support to develop their artistic talents.
What programs & events does the Kamloops Arts Council coordinate?
- Art in the Park
- Children's Art Festival
- Children's Summer Theatre Program
- Art Exposed Open Exhibition
- Kamloops Writers Festival
- KAC Main Gallery
- Wilson House Gallery
What does the Kamloops Arts Council have to offer?
- Show and sell your work at our many events and exhibitions
- Browse or exhibit at the Kamloops Arts Council Main Gallery and The Wilson House Gallery
- Apply for a Kamloops Arts Council Grant for individuals & arts groups (up to $1,000)
- Apply for the $500 Julia Appley-Mitra Youth Scholarship for high school students
- Get listed on our member artists links page
- Learn how to market your work through our professional development workshops (in development)
- Teach your art form and learn new mediums through our workshops
- Get 'in the know' about the local arts scene through our monthly newsletter and regular e-updates
- Gain access to members' insurance
- Meet and network with other artists -- from oil painters, photographers and writers to musicians, dancers and media artists!
photo credit: Donovan Harrison
The Kamloops Arts Council Office and Gallery is located in The Old Courthouse Cultural Centre at 7 Seymour Street West. We share this wonderful venue (the building turned 100 in July 2009) with Arnica Artist Run Studio, The Courthouse Gallery Cooperative and Theatre BC (Mainstage). Our resident gallery is the Kamloops Arts Council's Main Gallery, which hosts our member artists' wonderful work throughout the year. Please come visit us, our gallery and the rest of the amazing arts groups that are housed under one roof!
Office Hours: Tuesday to Friday, 10-12 & 1-5; Saturday 10-12 & 1-4 (closed 12-1 daily)
Did you know? Kamloops Arts Council is a not-for-profit (registered charitable organization #89310-4174-RR0001). Donate securely online via Paypal:
Thanks to our Corporate Members: